Taking care of your spine is of paramount importance. And spine health is something that you don’t notice until it is gone. The spine houses the spinal cord that plays a pivotal role in functioning of the central nervous system which controls the functions of each and every cell, tissue and organ of the body. Protecting and taking care of your spine serves a larger purpose, it helps you maintain overall wellness of your body.
Here are some ways that can help you take better care of your spine.
Exercising: Exercising is not only necessary for your fitness and to ensure you stay in shape.
It plays a very important role in making sure that your spine stays healthy. Core workouts and strength training, when done in the right way, can aid the spine. It makes your back muscles stronger and also helps you combat back pain.
- Keeping a good posture: We often hear our elders asking us not to slouch and to maintain an erect posture. It is much more than about looking good- good posture and back support are critical to reducing the occurrence and levels of back pain and neck pain.
- Heat-based treatments: heat-based treatments like heat packs, hot oil massage and warm baths can not only relieve pain but also increase blood flow in the spine area while simultaneously reducing the pain associated.
- Keeping the spine at rest while sleeping: Taking care of your spine is necessary not only when you are walking or sitting. It is essential to keep your back at rest while sleeping. This can be achieved by using a mattress and pillow that allow your back to be comfortable. Selecting a proper mattress is also very important for your spine.
- Visit a chiropractor: Chiropractors are health care professionals that focus on the treatment of neuromuscular disorders with an emphasis on treatment of the spine and the back. Visiting a chiropractor can also help you deal with any sort of mild discomfort or pain that you may be experiencing in your back.
- Dietary changes: Eating a balanced diet is very essential for maintaining your spine health. The bones and other structures require nutrients that help them support the entire body. Choosing foods that are rich in calcium and magnesium like yoghurt, milk, seeds, leafy vegetables are beneficial to your body. Along with that, it is often advised to cut down on sugary and processed foods.